Frequently Asked Questions

Display menu

Frequently Asked Questions

The best way to file a complaint, mediation request, or request for foreclosure assistance is to file online. You can also complete a hard copy complaint and send it to us.  We can answer questions over the phone, but require a written complaint or request for investigation and mediation services.

Follow us on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook to view our posts about our upcoming events. You can also check our events calendar on our homepage to see our upcoming events.

No. Mediation is voluntary process. You cannot force the other party to participate.

Every case is different. The time it takes to resolve your complaint depends on the cooperation of the parties involved, your documentation and other factors.

No. You are welcome to come in without an appointment. Our Downtown Los Angeles main office is open from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please click here for branch office hours and locations.

Please check the Department of Human Resources website at for employment opportunities with Consumer and Business Affairs and other County departments.

No. Our counselors are not attorneys and cannot provide legal advice, however our staff is very knowledgeable and can provide accurate information about laws pertaining to your question or case.

Our main office is located in downtown Los Angeles at the Hall of Administration – Room B-96 (500 W. Temple St. Los Angeles, CA 90012). We also offer service at branch offices located throughout the county. Please click here for branch office hours of service and locations

Our counselors are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. On the weekends, information is available on our website and through our recorded telephone messages on a variety of topics that might help answer your question. You may also use our online Ask A Question feature on our eComplaints system to submit a question to us at any time.