Here you will find



We have answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the minimum wage in L.A. County.


What will be the new minimum wage for unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County?

As of January 1, 2016, the State of California minimum wage is $10.00 an hour. Starting July 1, 2016, the minimum wage in the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County will increase according to the following schedule:

 For Employers with 26 or More Employees:
 Effective Date  Minimum Wage
 July 1, 2016  $10.50
 July 1, 2017  $12.00
 July 1, 2018  $13.25
 July 1, 2019  $14.25
 July 1, 2020  $15.00
 July 1, 2022  $15.96


 For Employers with 25 or Fewer Employees:
 Effective Date  Minimum Wage
 July 1, 2017  $10.50
 July 1, 2018  $12.00
 July 1, 2019  $13.25
 July 1, 2020  $14.25
 July 1, 2021  $15.00
 July 1, 2022  $15.96

What are the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County?

Unincorporated areas are not governed by a local city government. In incorporated cities, local city governments can set the minimum wage. In unincorporated areas, the County Board of Supervisors can set the minimum wage. Visit the County Registrar Recorder’s website to see if you work in an unincorporated area: Visit Registrar Recorder Website

Have all cities in the County raised their minimum wage?

No. There are 88 incorporated cities in the County of Los Angeles. Many cities are considering raising their minimum wage and some have done so, including the City of Los Angeles.

What is the difference between the County of Los Angeles’ minimum wage and the City of Los Angeles’ minimum wage?

They are separate laws. Until June 30, 2022, the minimum wage increases for unincorporated areas of L.A. County and the incorporated City of Los Angeles followed the same schedule and rates of pay. As of July 1, 2022, the L.A. County’s minimum wage and City of Los Angeles minimum wage are different.

Who is considered an employee under the new Los Angeles County Minimum Wage Ordinance?

If you work at least two hours in a one-week period in the unincorporated areas of the County, you are entitled to the County minimum wage for each hour worked in the unincorporated areas. This applies to full-time and part-time workers, even those who do not live in unincorporated L.A. County.

Is the minimum wage based on where I work or where the employer is headquartered?

The minimum wage is based on where work is performed, not where an employer is headquartered. Employees performing work in an incorporated city are subject to that city’s minimum wage. If that city does not have a local minimum wage, then the California state minimum wage applies.

Are part-time employees and employees on probation entitled to the new minimum wage?

Yes. All employees, including part-time employees, those on probation and those in training, who work at least two hours in a week in unincorporated areas of the County of Los Angeles are entitled to the new minimum wage.

Can tips be counted toward the minimum wage?


Does the new minimum wage in unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County apply to all employers?

Yes, with a few exceptions. Public sector employers are not subject to the law, and any employee or employer exempt from the State minimum wage is also exempt from the County’s minimum wage. However, non-profit employers must abide by the ordinance.

As an employer, am I mandated to provide any notification to my employees?

Yes, state law requires you to provide employees with a notice prior to their first day of work indicating their pay rate, time and payment method; and pay period (e.g. weekly, biweekly). Employers also are required to provide employees with a notice if there are any changes to the business (address, ownership, or name) and/or their pay rate within seven calendar days of the changes .

Can employees seek damages if they are not paid the correct minimum wage?

Yes. Employees may be entitled to damages and back wages if they are not paid the correct wage.

Who can I contact with questions about the County’s minimum wage?

Employees and employers who have questions may contact the Department of Consumer and Business Affairs by phone at (800) 593-8222 or submit a question on our website. Visit DCBA Website

Skip to content