a consumer is finding out his options for filing court documents

Filing Court Papers

Find out your options for filing court documents.

Filing Court Papers (Defendants)

Court forms are available at California Courts – Forms. Select “Small Claims” from the pull down menu. Forms are also available at the Court Clerk’s office. Completed Sample Forms are available here. Starting September 2, 2021 all litigants in Small Claims Court can appear virtually or telephonically for FREE. Read the details from the court here

Once you have completed Small Claims paperwork, you need to file it with the appropriate court clerk. There are three ways to file in Small Claims Court; In person, by mail, or by fax. Click here to learn where to file your case.

What are my options for filing court papers? 

There are currently only 3 options to file court papers at the correct courthouse: 

  • In person 
  • By mail 
  • By fax 

How do I file in person?   

Make an appointment to file in person, at the correct courthouse, hand your forms to the court clerk and pay the proper fee(s). You can pay by cash, check, money order, cashier’s check, or credit card.  

How do I file court papers by mail? 

To file your forms by mail: 

  1. Place the completed forms in an envelope. 
  2. Include a check or money order for the amount of the filing fee. Make the check payable to “Los Angeles Superior Court.” Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope, so the court can mail a copy of your filed forms back to you. 
  3. Add postage and mail your paperwork directly to the correct court. 

How do I file by fax? 

You can file all Small Claims Court documents by fax. You will be charged any required filing fee, plus an additional $0.75 per page and $4.50 fax-filing fee, when documents are fax-filed with the Court. You are required to fax-file the entire document including MC-005 Facsimile Transmission Cover Sheet. If you are filing outside of Los Angeles County, be sure to check with that County’s Superior Court website to see if the fax-filing option is available. 

To fax-file your documents, take the following steps: 

  1. Get and fill out a Facsimile Transmission Cover Sheet. You must sign the form (MC-005) and provide a valid credit card number. 
  2. On the court form(s) that you are filing, you must write “By fax” next to your signature. 
  3. Get the correct court’s fax number by checking the list below. 
  4. Fax the facsimile transmission cover sheet with all the pages of the document to be filed, to the correct courthouse. 
  5. You will get proof that the court received your fax and a receipt that reflects the charges to your credit card. Be sure if you are faxing from a remote location to wait for the proof and receipt for credit card receipts. 

The following forms require an original court seal and must be picked up at the courthouse where the forms were fax filed: 

  • EJ-130 Writ of Execution  
  • DL-30 Certificate of Facts of RE Unsatisfied Judgment 
  • DL-17 Notice of Unsatisfied Judgment of $750 or Less 
  • EJ-001 Abstract of Judgment 
  • SC-107 Subpoena 
  • WG-010/EJ-175 Notice of Hearing on Claim of Exemption 
  • EJ-195 Notice of Renewal of Judgment 
  • EJ-190 Application for and Renewal of Judgment


Fax #
Antelope Valley
(562) 753-0443
(310) 514-0314
(562) 753-0346
(562) 753-0958
(562) 753-0076
(562) 753-0387
Fax #
Long Beach
(562) 753-0921
(562) 753-0466
Santa Monica
(562) 753-0581
Stanley Mosk
(442) 247-3752
Van Nuys
(562) 759-0319
West Covina
(562) 753-0097

How do I file online?

You cannot file a Defendant’s Claim online. You can only file the Plaintiff’s Claim (SC-100) online (eFiling is currently not available).

Court forms are available at California Courts – Forms. Select “Small Claims” from the pull down menu. Forms are also available at the Court Clerk’s office.

County of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. Last change: August 26, 2021.