The County of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors has implemented a Temporary Rent Stabilization Ordinance for eligible rental units in the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County. Rent stabilization is a local law that establishes limits on rent increases and extends eviction protections. The ordinance will go into effect on December 20, 2018.
Here’s what it means for property owners like you:
- An annual cap of 3 percent on rent increases
- Rent increases must be based on the legal “base rent” a renter was paying on September 11, 2018
- If you believe you are not receiving a fair return on your property, a process is in place for you to request to increase rent above the annual cap
- You may only evict renters for specific “just cause” reasons
- If you own 50 or fewer rental units, you are able to pass additional costs associated with the Measure W parcel tax to renters (approved by voters in the November 2018 election)
The County ordinance voids rent increases over 3 percent in effect after September 11, 2018. If your renter already paid a rent increase over 3 percent you must return the overpayment. You may either pay this back in one lump sum or issue a credit against future rent due over a six-month period.
The temporary ordinance will be in effect for 180 days from its effective date of December 20, 2018. The Board of Supervisors can extend the temporary ordinance, as necessary, or vote to replace it with a permanent ordinance. Single-family homes, condominiums, and some apartments are not eligible rental units.
To find out if a property is in unincorporated Los Angeles County, visit the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk website at lavote.net/precinctmap and select “District Map Look Up By Address”.
If you want to find out if your rental unit is eligible or have questions about the temporary Rent Stabilization Ordinance contact the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs:
- Phone: (833) 223-RENT (7368)
- Email: Rent@dcba.lacounty.gov
- For more information, visit rent.lacounty.gov