When you place an item on layaway, the store agrees to hold it until you pay in full.
Layaway purchases can be a convenient way to buy when you are low on cash or you do not have credit. In a layaway purchase, the business agrees to hold your purchase until you pay in full.
What should be included on my layaway receipt?
If you purchase by layaway, you must be given a receipt that contains the following information:
- A description of what you are buying.
- The total price of the goods and other charges.
- The amount of your down payment.
- A number of your payments and when they are due.
- The length of time the goods will be held for you on layaway.
- The store’s refund policy.
Can a store refuse to return my money?
If you don’t make your payments or pick up the purchase as agreed, you may lose all payments you’ve made.
What if I don’t want the item anymore?
If you change your mind, you may not get your money back unless the store allows for refunds.
Civil Code 1749
County of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. Last change: May 5, 2008