The Los Angeles County On-Demand Personal Mobility Devices Pilot Program is based on a collaborative set of regulations for the safe commercial operation of devices such as e-scooters, electric bicycles, and bicycles in public right-of-way in unincorporated Los Angeles County. The specifications include details regarding rules of use, parking, and public safety.
Basic Operation Rules for Riders
- It is highly encouraged to wear a helmet.
- You must be a minimum of 18 years old with a valid Driver’s License to operate an e-scooter participating in the Pilot Program
- Devices are to be ridden on streets, and where available, in bicycle lanes and bicycle paths
- Riding on streets with a speed limit greater than 25 miles per hour is prohibited, unless you are in a bicycle lane
- Riding on the sidewalk is strictly prohibited
- E-scooters cannot exceed 15 miles per hour
- Users may not carry additional passengers
- Users shall ride responsibly
- Users shall yield to pedestrians
- Devices must be parked in the permitted areas only
- When riding on-street, follow the rules of the road and all motor vehicle laws
- Devices are not to be used for racing, “stunts”, or jumps