homeowners got a notification and are going through it

Enhanced Homeowner Notification Program

This Los Angeles County program gives you a chance to review real estate documents to protect you from fraud and protect your home from a foreclosure.

Enhanced Homeowner Notification Program

The Department of Consumer and Business Affairs operates the Enhanced Homeowner Notification Program. In the program, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder’s office sends you copies of documents recorded against your home. This gives you a chance to review the real estate documents to be sure they are legitimate. It also gives you your best chance to save your home from a foreclosure.

If you live in Los Angeles County, you will be mailed copies of documents that change ownership, show loans taken against your home, or a Notice of Default or Notice of Sale.

L.A. County has recently expanded the program to allow you to receive even faster notifications through email. With the new e-Notification program, in addition to receiving paper copies by mail, you will receive an email statement advising you of the recording on your property. You must first sign up to receive e-Notification alerts.

How to sign up for e-Notification

To enroll for e-Notification, create a profile on the Los Angeles County Assessor’s portal and opt in for e-Notification.

Understanding the documents

When you receive a notification in the mail from the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Office, it will include two sheets which describe the mailing and explain where to call for help. The notification also includes a copy of the document that was recorded. You can find out the type of document that was recorded by finding the white sheet that has the words, “WHEN RECORDED MAIL TO” in the top left-hand corner. The title of the document will be on that page. Copies of a Notices of Default or Notice of Sale will have clear titles.

When you receive the recorded document…

  • Check the document to be sure that no changes were made after you signed it.
  • Confirm that the documents you received from the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/ County Clerk’s Office are copies.

Please also note that…

  • If you mailed in your request for a recording, to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Office, you will receive the originals at a later date.
  • Walk-in recordings will be processed and returned at the time of recording.

Documents that change ownership

Adding or removing a name from title changes property ownership. Signing and recording one of the following documents will change ownership:

  • A Grant Deed is used to transfer real property from one person or entity to another person or entity.
  • A Quitclaim Deed releases any interest in real property (Grantor) and passes that interest to another person (Grantee).

Home ownership is given to someone else…

If you give full ownership of your property to someone else, you will be listed on the Grant Deed as the Grantor. Check the signature to be sure that it is yours.

Part ownership is given to someone else…

If you give only part ownership to someone else, you will be listed as both the Grantor and Grantee, along with the person you gave interest to. Your signature must appear on the document.

Being both a Grantor and a Grantee means that you have given part ownership of your property to someone else while remaining a part owner yourself.

The foreclosure documents are the following:

Notice of Default: Foreclosure begins when you get a Notice of Default in the mail. The Notice of Default tells you the amount you owe in missed payments and foreclosure fees. You have 90 days from the date the Notice of Default is recorded to pay what you owe. If you pay the amount on the Notice of Default, the lender cannot sell your home.

Notice of Trustee Sale: If you do not pay within 90 days, they will mail you a Notice of Trustee Sale. The Notice of Trustee Sale tells you the date, time, and place your home will be sold. The Notice of Trustee Sale must be mailed to you at least 20 days before the day they plan to sell your home. The notice also must be posted on your property.

When to call for help…

You should contact us and speak with one of our counselors at the phone number below if any of the following happens:

  • You received a Notice of Default or Notice of Trustee Sale. We offer your best chance to keep you from losing your home.
  • You did not give full or partial ownership of your home to someone else.
  • Your signature was forged on the document.
  • The document was changed after you signed it.
  • The document contains an incorrect property description.
  • The documents are incomplete or unreadable.
  • The documents have been sent to you in error.

Who can you call for free and reliable help?

Our experienced staff can discuss your foreclosure with you and help you explore all your options to save your home. We can help you work with your lender, to identify your options and any other available resources.

If you are a resident of California, you may apply to the California Mortgage Relief Program.

If you have any questions, please contact us through one of the methods listed below:

County of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. Updated Jan. 17, 2023

Skip to content