The Chinese Consulate of Los Angeles is reporting a nationwide scam targeting Chinese-speaking consumers. Scammers are impersonating consulate employees, demanding money in exchange for packages or important documents. They are also requesting personal information from consumers, threatening them with punishment if they do not comply. The scammers want you to provide your bank or credit card information, but don’t take the bait!
According to the consulate, common phone numbers used to run this scam include:
- (213) 807-8086
- (213 )807-8008
- (213) 807-8077
- (213) 807-8052
Follow these tips to avoid scams:
- If you get a call or message like this, hang up or delete it.
- Never give out personal information, such as your Social Security Number, to a stranger on the phone.
- Never wire money to a person you do not know.
- Never purchase gift or money cards for the purpose of providing the gift card numbers to someone else.
- Report scams and fraud to DCBA or the Federal Trade Commission.
Click here to read this alert in Chinese.