UPDATED: Oct. 25, 2021
Now that the COVID-19 vaccine is available for residents of Los Angeles County, scammers are targeting local residents with new, vaccine-related schemes.
As with any scams, we want to make sure you protect your money and personal information.
First, the basics about COVID-19 vaccines:
- Get legitimate vaccine information directly from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health or your personal doctor. (The cities of Pasadena and Long Beach have their own health departments. If you live there, their websites will have additional information for residents.)
- Many vaccinated residents are now eligible for booster shots. Go to VaccinateLACounty.com to find out more information.
- The COVID-19 Vaccine is free.
- The State of California offers a free digital record of your COVID-19 vaccinations. Go to myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov to get yours.
- The Federal Government does not offer a digital record or “vaccine passport.”
Avoiding COVID-19 Vaccine Scams
Here’s the bottom line: if anyone claims they can get you a booster shot before you are eligible OR tries to sell you a digital record of your vaccination, especially if they are asking you for payment or personal information, they are tricking you. THIS IS A SCAM!
- Do not pay a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Do not pay for access for a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Do not pay for a digital COVID-19 vaccine record.
- Do you give your personal information to anyone who reaches out to you unexpectedly.
If you are a victim of a COVID-19 Vaccine Scam
If you believe you have been the victim of a vaccine scam or if you’re just uncertain, please contact us at the Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. Call us at (800) 593-8222 or use our online complaint form.
Share your knowledge
Keep your friends and neighbors safe from scams. Share any of the information in this post in your personal interactions or social media accounts to help keep people safe.